Broccoli Cheddar is a delicious and hearty soup. The bowl is full of chunky, colourful vegetables and thick, cheesy broth that will leave you happy and warm. My Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe is lighter than other broccoli cheddar soups. It doesn't contain heavy cream, and it has a little less cheese. You can add more cheese if desired. #norules This soup was so easy. I know it will be in my regular rotation.
SMALL BATCH BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP RECIPEMy soup recipes usually come in large batches so that you can freeze them and fill your freezer with delicious goodness. But this Broccoli Cheddar Soup stands out. Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a small batch of soup. In this instance, cheese sauces, broths thickened with butter or flour roux, tend to not hold up to freezing or thawing. This recipe yields four large servings.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERSThis soup can be frozen, as mentioned previously, but will keep well in the fridge for at least 4-5 days. The leftovers are delicious! These leftovers can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring frequently.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BROCCOLI-CHEDDAR SOUPThis broccoli soup's thick, cheesy broth is perfect for crackers and crusty bread to help you eat every drop. Saltine crackers are my favourite, but oyster crackers and my focaccia roll would also be great.
DO FROZEN BROCCOLI WORK?This recipe can be made with frozen broccoli. It would be best to let them thaw thoroughly before adding them to your soup. Also, you will need to cut them into smaller pieces (think bite-sized, fit on a spoon small).
MAKE IT VEGETARIANBecause chicken broth tends to have a milder flavour than the other flavours, and the light colour doesn't overshadow the orange cheese colour, I chose to use it as my base. However, you could make this soup vegetarian by using vegetable broth. It tends to be stronger in flavour, and darker soups may result.
THE BEST BROCCOLI-CHEDDAR SOUPBroccoli Cheddar soup is a quick and easy recipe with chunky, colourful vegetables. It comes in a rich, cheesy broth to make a delicious, meal-worthy soup. Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 yellow onion ($0.52)
- 1 lb. Broccoli ($1.49)
- 2 carrots ($0.23)
- 4 Tbsp Butter ($0.52)
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour ($0.04)
- 2 cups chicken broth ($0.24)
- 2 cups whole milk (0.75)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.05)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper ($0.02)
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded ($1.27)
- Chop the onion. Cut the broccoli into small pieces. The carrots can be sliced and peeled.
- In a large soup pan, add the onion and butter. Continue to saute on medium heat until the onions become translucent and soft. Continue to stir for 2 minutes or until flour coats the bottom of the pot.
- Mix the chicken broth with the flour and stir to dissolve the flour. Increase the heat to medium-high. Stir frequently and allow the broth to simmer for a while. Once it has reached a simmer, it will thicken to a gravy consistency.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the milk, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Let the broth return to a simmer.
- Allow the broth to return to a simmer. Add the chopped broccoli and carrots, and simmer the vegetables for at least 15 minutes or until the carrots become tender.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cheese shredded into the soup. Stir the mixture one at a time until it's melted. Salt the soup by tasting it. This will depend on how salty the broth is. I did not add any.